TNO connects people and knowledge to create innovations that boost the competitive strength of industry and the well-being of society in a sustainable way. This is our mission and it is what drives us, the 3,000 professionals at TNO, in our work every day. We work in collaboration with partners and focus on five transitions that we have identified together with our stakeholders.
TNO is an independent research organisation that employs some 3,000 specialists. We believe in the joint creation of economic and social value. Innovation with purpose is what TNO stands for. We develop knowledge not for its own sake, but for practical application.
Our strategy is a reflection of the trends we observe in society and technology. In close coordination with our stakeholders we have defined five transitions on which we will focus. These are in line with the challenges and ambitions of the Top Sector policy and social themes in the Netherlands and the rest of Europe. The transitions can be summarised as follows:
- Industry: from economic stagnation to growth in high-technology industry
- Healthy Living: from illness and treatment to health and behaviour
- Defence, Safety & Security: from a wide range of threats to controllable risks
- Urbanisation: from urbanisation bottlenecks to urban vitality
- Energy: from conventional sources to sustainable energy systems.
TNO, the Netherlands Organisation for Applied Scientific Research TNO, was founded by law in 1932 to enable business and government to apply knowledge. As an organisation regulated by public law, we are independent: not part of any government, university or company.